Yeesh...that all sounds depressing!
Don't worry, happies are sprinkled in this week's roundup. Here's what you may have missed:
1. With the help of my neighbor, I successfully rescued baby kitten Catniss (with a "C" because I'm clever like that) and now we're raising funds to help pay for her surgery. There are two ways you can help:
1) Use the widget on the upper right hand side of my blog, or:
- Call South Paws (her vet) at 703-752-9100.
- Reference Catniss's ID: #114772.
- South Paws will take your donation over the phone and apply it to her account.
2) Spread the word! You can post this blog post, the whole story, or a link to the fundraiser on your Facebook page or Twitter account, email a link to your friends, or even put the fundraiser widget on your website.
And here is Catniss post-op. Oh help me I loooooove this little love munchkin!!!
2.Adams Morgan Day is this Sunday! The festival will take place on 18th Street, NW, between Florida Avenue and Columbia Road as well as Belmont Road from noon to 7 p.m. Nonprofits and local businesses will be along 18th Street and artists mostly from the region will be clustered on Arts on Belmont. The weather should be great, and this is always a fun day! Just don't attempt driving because then it won't be fun.
3. The 14th & U Farmers Market only has a few weekends left, so look for sales! This Saturday the hot item is nectarines at about $1 a pound. Also notable are lots of root vegetables available now since autumn is upon us. Stew time!
4. District Flea is coming to U Street in one week! I'm so excited about this. It's about time we got a good flea market on this side of town. I might even rent a booth...stay tuned!!!
5. I swear I hear at least one weird story a week come out of my hometown. This woman gave birth in her husband's car right down the street from where I grew up, and she was worried about her husband getting upset about the mess.
6. Everyone's concerned about Cuba now that Ariel Castro is dead. If you are also concerned, read this immediately. And please sign up for CNN updates on your mobile device, it's the least you can do.
7. Okay, so we're probably going to war again and the current war isn't even wrapped up yet. Here's what you need to know about what's going on in Syria.
- Syria explained: What you need to know
- 9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask
- Wikipedia entry on Syria